Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Excitement of fall

The first day of fall is September 22, fall is my favorite time of the year. The leaves start to turn and fall, the air gets a chill, so you know that huntin season is right around the corner. Some of you may think that it is weird for girls to like hunting but I love all kinds of hunting. I went squirrel huning with my boyfriend, Dexter and his brother Detrick last weekend, it was pretty fun, we got 22 squirrels. I refused to clean them but will shoot them out of the tree, the guys clean the squirrels. Soon bow season starts, I don't bow hunt but Dexter does, every morning and afternoon he sits in one of his multiple bow stands. I went with him once and got yelled at for being to loud so I don't go anymore, there isn't room in that tiny little tree stand for two anyway. I don't know how many of you coon hunt but I can't wait until November 1st in Iowa, that's opening night. We take pride in our dogs, they receive better care during season then we do. Normally on opening night we take our old black and tan, Cheif, and run him with my dog Duke. We start out about dusk so we are in the woods when it is dark. There is nothing more exciting then to see/hear our dogs howling on a coon track, well maybe after they get them treed. We hunt about half the night with those two dogs, then come back home and switch to two fresh dogs. We hunt the rest of the night until daybreak. We will then come home skin our coon and meet up with our friends to see how many they got opening night. Our record for opening night is 9 coon. Hopefully we'll beat that this year.

3 comments:

Cassandra Jens said...

Your blog made me slightly interested in hunting which has never happened before. The suspense that you described about hunting coons @ night sounds great! It actually seems like a lot of fun!

Kyle Kennedy said...

I think it is cool that you hunt i am a hunter too. I only squarl and deer hunt but it is so relaxing out there.My little sister is a big hunter too.

Nikki said...

I love that girls hunt. My dad and brother are both big hunters, and they always tried to get me into it, but I personally couldn't. I LOVE reading you describe coon hunting because it reminds me so much of one of my favorit books: "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.